**Disclaimer: The Chamber Chat is a courtesy service. Our goal is to be short and readable with pass-along information and reminders requested from members. This service is being provided in lieu of forwarding e-mails directly to you. Thank you for reading our chat!
IN THIS ISSUE:
- Lodging- availability connection to OCRA? E-mail us at OCRALodging@gmail.com with your updates.
- Ridgway Rendezvous Art and Craft Festival, August 7th & 8th.
- Live music in August at the Four Corners Café
- Crystal Lake Dam Project- USFS report
- Weehawken's 2010 Scholarship Program
- Treasure Hunt in the Visitor's Guide – Do you know the answers?
- Jeep Ticket Update
- Links to members
- Updated OCRA BOARD OF DIRECTORS contact list
To view our CALENDER OF EVENTS,
please see www.ouraycolorado.com
Ridgway Art & Crafts Rendezvous, Ridgway Town Park
August 7th & 8th
DON'T MISS THE ENTERTAINMENT AND FAMILY-FRIENDLY ACTIVITIES AT THE RIDWGAY RENDEZVOUS ARTS AND CRAFTS FESTIVAL THIS WEEKEND!
This is a perfect show for families to attend as well; with this 26th year having plenty of extra special things for families and kids to do. The children will enjoy riding the Ridgway Fire Department train, free balloons, face painting, two arts and crafts booths and some really fun family creation station projects each day.
For more information, contact Weehawken Creative Arts at email@example.com or call 970-318-0150. Or, contact the Ridgway Chamber of Commerce at 1-800-220-4959. This event is sponsored by Weehawken Creative arts and is a fundraiser for the children's arts programming offered through Weehawken.
CONTACT FOR RIDGWAY ARTS AND CRAFTS SHOW
Kentee Pasek, Show Director
Phone: 970-318-6673, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
4 Corners Cafe at the Chipeta Sun Lodge in Ridgway, Colorado
Live Music Wed. and Friday nights
on the Rooftop Deck, Best view in Ridgway!
Crystal Lake Dam Work Planned
Montrose, CO., (August 3, 2010) – The Grand Mesa, Uncompahgre and Gunnison National Forests is planning repair work on the Crystal Lake Dam, located approximately 4 miles South of Ouray, Colorado, along Highway 550.
Most immediately, the Forest Service plans to install an emergency spillway on the Crystal Dam which includes installing a 10-inch siphon and 24-inch outlet pipe. This work will provide temporary stability to the dam while other plans for repairs are developed and funding sought.
Construction is expected to begin in October and take approximately 14 days to complete. During the period while construction is occurring, the crest on the North side of the dam will be impacted and access to the Hayden Trail (currently across the north embankment) will likely be closed to the public and/or temporarily moved to the South toward Ironton. The public will be notified when work begins and trail access status in the media, on the Forest website and/or by calling the Ouray Ranger District Office.
In the interim, the Bureau of Reclamation is assisting the Forest Service by evaluating the dam hazard classification and assisting with potential rehabilitation needs/options and cost estimates.
Weehawken's 2010 Scholarship Program:
Weehawken Creative Arts is pleased to offer scholarships for classes and workshops to deserving people interested in taking advantage of the cultural and fine arts events offered.
To support or apply, please contact:
Treasure Hunt in the Visitor's Guide
There is a wonderful and fun Ouray Treasure Hunt in the Visitor's Guide. It is a great activity for family's to do while they are visiting Ouray. The hunt is on page 49.
We encourage you to let your staff and visitors know about the treasure hunt and the awesome poster prize that we have at the Visitor's Center- upon completion.
We had one interested family complete the hunt and sent us an email…
"I just wanted to let you know that we had a wonderful visit to Ouray
Recently. My 11 year old daughter saw the treasure hunt in the travel guide
And she and I set out to complete it. What a great way to get to know the
Town! We met so many people and learned interesting details about Ouray that
We would have passed over otherwise. And, the best part was collecting our
Poster at the end. The quality of the print surpassed any expectation we
had! We had the print mounted and now proudly display it in our Dallas home
as a reminder of Colorado. Thank you very much!!!!"
Do you know the answers to the questions on the hunt? ……..We challenge you!
Submit your treasure hunt questions for the 2011 guide now!
Jeep Ticket Update
For businesses that are selling Jeep Tickets, Patricia Sullivan will be coming by on Fridays & Mondays to pick up and deliver tickets. If you have too many tickets or need more, please call (970) 318-8469.
OCRA is looking for any creative & innovative ideas on how to boost Jeep ticket sales, if you have any, please send an email to email@example.com.
Requested links for the chamber chat:
· City of Ouray: (view City Council Agendas prior to the meetings)
· Jeep road condition updates: http://soajeep.com/custom1.shtml
· Newspapers: Ouray Plaindealer and Ridgway Sun - www.ouraynews.com;
· Ouray County Watch- www.watchnewspapers.com
· Ouray Chamber Resort Association (OCRA) – www.ouraycolorado.com
· Ouray County Performing Arts Guild (OCPAG) – www.ocpag.org
· Ouray County Arts Association (OOAA) – www.ourayarts.org
· Ouray County Historical Society: www.ouraycountyhistoricalsociety.org
· Ouray Ice Park: http://www.ourayicepark.com
· Ouray Trail Group - www.ouraytrails.org
· Painting Marmot Art Supply and Art School www.paintingmarmotart.com
· Rays Good Stuff, jerky, jellies and more http://raysgoodstuff.com
· San Juan Mountain Guides: New Classes www.ourayclimbing.com/
· Weehawken Creative Arts (WCA) – www.weehawkenarts.org
· Ouray Beautification Committee: Committee meetings - monthly, the second Wednesday, beginning at 3:30 PM in the Community Center's San Juan Room.