*Disclaimer: The Chamber Chat is a courtesy service. Our goal is to be short and readable with pass-along information and reminders requested from members. This service is being provided in lieu of forwarding e-mails directly to you. Thank you for reading our chat!
Welcome Lezah Saunders-
OCRA's newly elected Board of Directors President.
IN THIS ISSUE:
- US 550 night closure- Closure of US 550 –Sunday - Thursday nights 8 p.m. - 6 a.m., from August 15 to mid-September- details below updated as of 08/18/2010
- Cardboard Recycling For Businesses- info
- Aug 28 is packed full of activities!
- Glenda the Blenda and Grillin Chillin!
- Perimeter Trail work scheduled. Volunteers needed.
- Fall Fly Fishing Conditions
- Chief Ouray Gun Show- OCT 2 &3
- Links to members
- Updated OCRA BOARD OF DIRECTORS contact list- updated 08/13/2010
- Feature: Rafting in August is good to go! Call the people in the know: Rigs Fly Shop and Rafting Service: 626-4460. fishrigs.com
For an updated CALENDER OF EVENTS,
please see www.OurayColorado.com
US 550 BEAR CREEK BRIDGE NIGHT WORK BEGINS FULL CLOSURES EXPECTED
Closure of US 550 will occur Sunday through Thursday nights from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m., from August 15 to mid-September.
From Ouray you will be able to drive up until the amphitheatre. Any point beyond that will not be accessible, including the overlook, during these nightly closures. Please note, however, the full closure is only from 8 p.m. - 6 a.m. The overlook, however, is closed full time until late October. If you wish to drive from Silverton to Ironton you will be able to make that drive during the road closure.
As for the shut down, it is a shutdown for the winter is of the project not the highway.
Commuters and community members are encouraged to sign up for regular electronic updates by enrolling at
or calling the project hotline at 970-325-9892. You may also visit the CDOT website at http://www.Coloradodot.info/projects/550bearcreekbridge.For information on other CDOT projects statewide visit www.cotrip.org or call 511. Thank you for going Slow for the Cone Zone!
Cardboard Recycling For Businesses- info
Regarding the new cardboard dumpsters for businesses,
it is located on Oak St/ River Road just past the City Shop
going north into the big fenced-in area.
It is open 7am to 3:30 pm Mon- Fri.
Fee arrangements have yet to be determined.
This is a CDC project. __________________________________________________________________
Mnt. Sneffles Marathon
Grillin' Chillin' Brewfest
Vignettes of History
See OurayColoardo.com for more listings and for details.
Grillin Chill featuring: Glenda the Blenda
Local non-profit Mosaic Community Project (MCP) has a new fundraising idea and "she" is already popular at Ouray County events. Her name is "Glenda the Blenda." Glenda is a human-powered bike that is ingeniously connected to a real blender - perfect for making smoothies, iced lemonades and the ever-popular margarita. Glenda had her debut during Ride the Rockies and reached her full blending potential at the 3rd annual Ridgway River Festival where she raised money for community oriented projects funded by MCP. Glenda will be displayed in all of her glory at this year's Chillin' and Grillin' where she will be spinnin' margaritas and smoothies to help raise money for Ouray Parks and Rec and MCP. Come give her a try! $6 we peddle, or $5 you peddle!
Perimeter Trail work scheduled. Volunteers needed.
"All of you that have been sitting at home waiting for some trail work I have some good news for you. Saturday Aug. 21st. we are going to have a work day on the perimeter trail. We need to finish the section north of the bridge that crosses cascade creek. We are going to connect to the trail above the waterfall that is being completed from the visitor center. Also if enough people show up we can work on the trail south of the waterfall (cribbing, steps, and widening). We will meet at the top of 8th avenue at 9:00. we'll supply tools you supply brawn." Phil Wolkin
Fall Fly Fishing conditions for SW Colorado
For any one thinking about fly fishing SW Colorado this Fall... conditions are going to be exceptional!
With the changing of the seasons, weather a little cooler and river flows a little lower, the trout are starting to bulk up for the coming winter - its "fish on" for the next 6 weeks! There is no better time to fish the region for quality Rainbow, Brown and Cutthroat trout. So time to grab your gear and head to Ridgway for a remarkable Guided Fly Fishing Adventure.
Chief Ouray Gun Show to be hosted Oct 2 & 3 at the 4 H Center in Ridgway, Colorado.
Admission is $5 or $8 for a two day pass. 12 and under are free when accompanied by an adult. Event is open Sat. Oct. 2 9am- 5pm and Sun. Oct. 3 9am -3pm. Food available during he show. Enjoy the fall Colorado and the gun show in one trip! For more details please contact- 4H Director: Rod Hodge 970.325.9908 email@example.com.
Requested links for the chamber chat:
· City of Ouray: (view City Council Agendas prior to the meetings)
· Jeep road condition updates: http://soajeep.com/custom1.shtml
· Newspapers: Ouray Plaindealer and Ridgway Sun - www.ouraynews.com;
· Ouray County Watch- www.watchnewspapers.com
· Ouray Chamber Resort Association (OCRA) – www.ouraycolorado.com
· Ouray County Performing Arts Guild (OCPAG) – www.ocpag.org
· Ouray County Arts Association (OOAA) – www.ourayarts.org
· Ouray County Historical Society: www.ouraycountyhistoricalsociety.org
· Ouray Trail Group - www.ouraytrails.org
· Ouray Travel: www.bookouray.com allows visitors to book into Ouray
lodging, find airfare and car rentals 24 hours per day, just like major travel
sites such as Travelocity and Expedia. http://www.ouraytravel.com
· Painting Marmot Art Supply and Art School www.paintingmarmotart.com
· Rays Good Stuff, jerky, jellies and more http://raysgoodstuff.com
· San Juan Mountain Guides: New Classes www.ourayclimbing.com/
· Weehawken Creative Arts (WCA) – www.weehawkenarts.org
· Ouray Beautification Committee: Committee meetings - monthly, the second Wednesday, beginning at 3:30 PM in the Community Center's San Juan Room.